Frequently Asked Questions | Snow Holidays

Frequently Asked Questions

by Travellers to the Australian Ski fields


Do I need to carry chains to the resort?
In NSW, only 2WD cars are required by law to carry chains within the National Park, however, it is recommended all cars carry chains around the Snowy Mountains in winter as conditions can change quickly.

Do I need to pay for National Parks Entry if I catch the Skitube?
No. Your National Parks Entry Fee is included in your Skitube ticket.

Where do I pay my Gate Entry or National Park entry fee?
For all resorts you can pay at the park gates when you pass through, for Perisher and Thredbo in NSW you can also pay for and collect your National Parks entry sticker at the Snowy Region Visitors Centre in Jindabyne.

What is the difference between self-contained and lodge/hotel style accommodation?
Generally, in a lodge or hotel, you book a room with ensuite and it often includes some meals. With self-contained properties, you book a whole apartment/house with kitchen facilities allowing you to cook for yourself.

Can I have extra people sleeping on the floor / in a swag?
In lodges and hotels, only the people booked and paid for can stay in the room, you cannot exceed this number.

In self-contained properties, there is a limit to the number of people legally allowed in a unit due to fire safety regulations and/or National Park requirements.  If you are found to have more people than the stated limit you may be fined and will be removed from the property immediately.

Are apartments fully self-contained?
All apartments/townhouses/units are fully self-contained including kitchen facilities.  Each apartment has unique inclusions, ask your consultant for details.

Which resort is best for families/children?
All of the resorts we book have great family/children facilities.  They all offer lessons for children, snow sports school and snow play areas.

If I’m not skiing or boarding what other activities are there?
There lots of alternative activities to try depending on the resort you visit, for example, riding the scenic chairlift, tobogganing, snow tubing and general snow play.  Thredbo has a leisure centre and Alpine Museum, and both resorts have fireworks on selected nights throughout the season.

Where can I toboggan?
Perisher Resort has a designated toboggan area. It is recommended that you stay within the designated area to avoid accidents. Tobogganing is not permitted at Thredbo.

Do I need travel insurance?
We strongly recommend travel insurance whether you are travelling internationally or domestic. Travel insurance can cover you for a number of unforeseen situations that may prevent you from taking your holiday.  The terms and conditions of your booking are not negotiable should your circumstances change. 

When will it snow?
As you know the weather is unpredictable!  We would recommend checking one of the many weather forecasts online for up to date long-range and short-range forecasts.

When is the best time for snow?
The snow season runs from the June long weekend to the October long weekend.  The peak time, and usually the best time for snow coverage is July and August. In addition, all of the Australian snow resorts have snowmaking facilities, which helps to maintain or top up snow cover in periods of low snowfall.